Associate Professor David John Scott
BA/PhD (Australian National University)
David Scott obtained a BA and PhD from the Australian National University and then commenced his university teaching career at La Trobe University in 1972. He has taught at La Trobe University, the University of Sheffield, Bond University and Colorado State University, joining The University of Auckland, based at Tāmaki Campus, in mid-1995.
He has been Head of Department at La Trobe University, Acting Dean and Associate Dean (Academic) at Bond University, and Associate Director of the Centre for Quality Management and Data Analysis at Bond University with responsibility for Short Courses. He was Head of the Department of Statistics in 2000, and is a past President of the New Zealand Statistical Assocation.
Research | Current
David has worked in probability theory, inference for stochastic processes, categorical data analysis, Bayesian analysis, applied statistics and statistical computing.
Currently his major research interests are in applied statistics, and statistical computing. He is the author of a number of statistical packages most of which are available on CRAN. The packages DistributionUtils, GeneralizedHyperbolic, SkewHyperbolic, VarianceGamma and NormalLaplace provide functionality for dealing with distributions. hwriterPlus is useful for automatic report generation and reproducible research. David is also the joint author of glarma for modelling count time series and metaplot for flexible creation of forest plots (available on gitHub). He also maintains the package xtable.
David is a member of the Department of Statistics Statistical Consulting Centre. He has a long-standing interest in statistical consulting and has extensive experience consulting for clients both within the university and commercially.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Dunsmuir, W. T. M., & Scott, D. J. (2015). The glarma package for observation-driven time series regression of counts. Journal of Statistical Software, 67 (7), 1-36. 10.18637/jss.v067.i07
- Leão SHS, Oates, J. M., Purdy, S. C., Scott, D., & Morton, R. P. (2015). Voice Problems in New Zealand Teachers: A National Survey. Journal of Voice, Early Online.10.1016/j.jvoice.2014.11.004
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Suzanne Purdy
- Scott, D. J. (2015). DistributionUtils, Version 0.5-1, Distribution Utilities [Computer software]. CRAN, the Comprehensive R Archive Network. Related URL.
- Scott, D. (2015). hwriterPlus: Extending the hwriter package, Version 1.0-3 [Computer software]. CRAN, the Comprehensive R Archive Network. Related URL.
- Scott, D. (2015). GeneralizedHyperbolic, Version 0.8-1, The generalized hyperbolic distribution [Computer software]. Related URL.
- Scott, D. J. (2014). metaplot: Meta-analysis Forest Plots [Computer software]. https://github.com/pmur002/metaplot: GitHub. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Paul Murrell
- Stavert, J. R., Gaskett, A. C., Scott, D. J., & Beggs, J. R. (2014). Dung beetles in an avian-dominated island ecosystem: feeding and trophic ecology. Oecologia, 176 (1), 259-271. 10.1007/s00442-014-3001-z
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Jacqueline Beggs, Anne Gaskett, Jamie Stavert
- Scott, D. J., & Grimson, F. (2013). SkewHyperbolic, Version 0.3-2, The Skew Hyperbolic Student t Distribution. [Computer software]. CRAN, the Comprehensive R Archive Network. Related URL.