Associate Professor Ilze Brigita Ziedins
BA (Waikato), PhD (Cambridge)
Ilze Ziedins joined the department in 1993.
Research | Current
Ilze's primary research interest is the modelling, analysis and optimisation of stochastic networks, with particular application to communications networks, transportation networks, and latterly, healthcare systems.
Particular themes that she is currently working on include
- Phase transitions and controls in tree loss networks
- System optimal and user optimal admission and routing controls in queueing networks
- Modelling and optimisation of patient flow in hospital systems.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Pfannkuch, M. J., Budgett, S. C., Fewster, R., Fitch, A. M., Pattenwise, S., Wild, C. J., & Ziedins, I. (2016). Probability modelling and thinking: What can we learn from practice?. Statistics Education Research Journal, 15 (2), 11-37. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Maxine Pfannkuch, Stephanie Budgett, Rachel Fewster, Marie Fitch, Chris Wild
- Walker, C. G., O’Sullivan MJ, Ziedins, I., & Furian, N. (2016). Faster Cancer Treatment: Using timestamp data to improve patient journeys. Healthcare10.1016/j.hjdsi.2016.04.012
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Cameron Walker, Michael O'Sullivan
- Stanford, D. A., Taylor, P., & Ziedins, I. (2014). Waiting time distributions in the accumulating priority queue. Queueing Systems, 77 (3), 297-330. 10.1007/s11134-013-9382-6
- Sharif, A. B., Stanford, D. A., Taylor, P., & Ziedins, I. (2014). A multi-class multi-server accumulating priority queue with application to health care. Operations Research for Health Care, 3 (2), 73-79. 10.1016/j.orhc.2014.01.002
- Pfannkuch, M., & Ziedins, I. (2014). A modeling perspective on probability. In E. Chernoff, B. Sriraman (Eds.) Probabilistic thinking: Presenting plural perspectives (pp. 101-116). Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Springer. 10.1007/978-94-007-7155-0_5
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Maxine Pfannkuch
- Stanford, D. A., Taylor, P., & Ziedins, I. (2013). Waiting time distributions in the accumulating priority queue. Queueing Systems, 1-34.
- Lee, A., & Ziedins, I. (2012). ADAPTIVE RESOURCE ALLOCATION TO MAXIMIZE RUN-OUT TIMES. ASIA-PACIFIC JOURNAL OF OPERATIONAL RESEARCH, 29 (3)10.1142/S0217595912400179
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Alan Lee
- Chen, Y., Holmes, M., & Ziedins, I. (2012). Monotonicity properties of user equilibrium policies for parallel batch systems. Queueing Systems: Theory and Applications, 70 (1), 1-23. 10.1007/s11134-011-9264-8