Dr Patricio Maturana Russel
PhD in Statistics, University of Auckland, New Zealand.
Patricio has a BS degree (2007) and a MSc in Statistic (2011) at the Universidad de Valparaíso, Chile. In that time, he worked in"Estimation and local influence in factor analysis under heavy-tailed distributions" supervised by Felipe Osorio. He joined the Department of Statistics in 2013 to study a PhD, supervised by Steffen Klaere and Brendon Brewer, obtaining the degree in 2017. The title of his thesis is "Bayesian inference in phylogenetics using Nested Sampling". Currently, he is working as Post Doctoral Research Fellow with Renate Meyer. His work consists in the development of Bayesian Statistical techniques with application in Gravitational Waves.
Research | Current
- Maturana Patricio (2016). Model selection and parameter inference in phylogenetics using Nested Sampling. 2016 Joint New Zealand Statistical Association (NZSA) and Operations Research Society of New Zealand (ORSNZ) Conference. Auckland, New Zealand.
- Maturana Patricio (2015). Success of Bayesian inference in the four-taxon case. Phylomania 2015 - The UTAS theoretical phylogenetics meeting, Tasmania, Australia.
- Maturana Patricio (2015). Estimating the marginal likelihood. The 19th Annual New Zealand Phylogenomics Meeting, Portobello, New Zealand.
- Maturana Patricio (2009). Influence diagnotics for factor analysis under scale mixtures of normal distributions.. Poster presented at Symposium on Statistical Modeling, Universidad de Valparaiso, Valparaiso, Chile.
- Maturana Patricio (2009). Local influence for factor analysis considering scale mixtures of normal distributions. Poster presented at The XXXVI National Conference on Statistical - Sociedad Chilena de Estadistica (SOCHE), Temuco, Chile.
- Maturana Patricio (2008). Estimation in factor analysis under heavy-tailed distributions. Second Symposium on Mixed Models with Applications in Biometrics, Universidad de Valparaiso, Valparaiso, Chile.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Brewer, B. J. B., Klaere, S., Maturana Russel, P., & Bouckaert, R. (2019). Model selection and parameter inference in phylogenetics using Nested Sampling. Systematic Biology, 68 (2), 219-233. 10.1093/sysbio/syy050
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Brendon Brewer, Remco Bouckaert
- Maturana Russel, P. (2018). Bayesian support for evolution: Detecting phylogenetic signal in a subset of the primate family. In A. Polpo, J. Stern, F. Louzada, R. Izbicki, H. Takada (Eds.) Bayesian Inference and Maximum Entropy Methods in Science and Engineering: MaxEnt 37, Jarinu, Brazil, July 09-14, 2017 (pp. 211-219). Cham, Switzerland: Springer International Publishing. Related URL.
- Maturana Russel, P. (2017). Bayesian Inference in Phylogenetics using Nested Sampling The University of Auckland. ResearchSpace@Auckland.