Associate Professor Rachel Mary Fewster
I joined the department in 1999, following degrees from St Andrews (PhD Statistics) and Cambridge (MA Mathematics). Please see my personal webpage and publications list for more details, including links to PDFs and software.
I am currently coordinating the development of CatchIT, a data management, mapping, and analysis system for community and scientific pest control projects.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Antunes, A. P., Fewster, R. M., Venticinque, E. M., Peres, C. A., Levi, T., Rohe, F., & Shepard, G. H. (2016). Empty forest or empty rivers? A century of commercial hunting in Amazonia. Science Advances, 2 (10), 1-14. 10.1126/sciadv.1600936
- Fewster, R. M., Stevenson, B. C., & Borchers, D. L. (2016). Trace-Contrast Models for Capture–Recapture Without Capture Histories. Statistical Science, 31 (2), 245-258. 10.1214/16-STS551
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Ben Stevenson
- Vale, R. T. R., Fewster, R. M., Carroll, E. L., & Patenaude, N. J. (2014). Maximum likelihood estimation for model Mt,α for capture-recapture data with misidentification. Biometrics, 70 (4), 962-971. 10.1111/biom.12195
- Carroll, E. L., Childerhouse, S. J., Fewster, R. M., Patenaude, N. J., Steel, D., Dunshea, G., ... Baker, C. S. (2013). Accounting for female reproductive cycles in a superpopulation capture-recapture framework. ECOLOGICAL APPLICATIONS, 23 (7), 1677-1690. 10.1890/12-1657.1
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Charles Baker
- Veale, A. J., Edge, K. A., McMurtrie, P., Fewster, R. M., Clout, M. N., & Gleeson, D. M. (2013). Using genetic techniques to quantify reinvasion, survival and in situ breeding rates during control operations. Molecular Ecology, 22 (20), 5071-5083. 10.1111/mec.12453
- Fewster, R. M., & Jupp, P. E. (2013). Information on parameters of interest decreases under transformations. Journal of Multivariate Analysis, 120, 34-39. 10.1016/j.jmva.2013.05.010
- Efford, M. G., & Fewster, R. M. (2013). Estimating population size by spatially explicit capture-recapture. Oikos, 122 (6), 918-928. 10.1111/j.1600-0706.2012.20440.x
- Fewster, R. M. (2011). Variance Estimation for Systematic Designs in Spatial Surveys. Biometrics, 67 (4), 1518-1531. 10.1111/j.1541-0420.2011.01604.x