Dr Rhys Christopher Jones
EdD, MSc (immunology), MSc (medical biochemistry), BSc (Hons) Biology, PGCE FE (Cardiff university, University of Glasgow, Cardiff Metropolitan University and University of South Wales)
My research interests are in statistics education, and I have degrees in biology, medical biochemistry, immunology, teacher training and also education. I have held lecturing positions in Cardiff University, London South East College and Birmingham City University (BCU), teaching mostly undergraduate courses in: statistics, analytical and inorganic chemistry, microbiology, biomedical science, nutrition and organic chemistry, mathematics for science, health and wellbeing, genetics, and clinical anatomy and physiology.
Research | Current
Current research interests include:
- Statistics education, especially across disciplines
- Mathematical and statistical anxiety
- Curriculum design
- Peer learning
- Emotional intelligence in education
- Quasi-experimental methods in education
Teaching | Current
PhD supervisor - Amy Renelle (2019 - present)
Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Director Science Scholars Programme (https://www.auckland.ac.nz/en/science/study-with-us/science-scholars-programme.html)
Course administrator STATS 10x
Stats teacher day organiser
Areas of expertise
Statistics education research
Experimental methods in educational research
Executive member of the Auckland Mathematics Association
Executive member of the NZ Association for Gifted Children
Member of the New Zealand Statistical Society education committee
Member of the Royal Statistical Society UK education committee
Trustee of the Teaching Statistics Trust
Member of the British Sociological Association
Member of the International Association for Statistics Education
Member of the Auckland University Faculty of Science Teaching and Learning Innovation Group
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Jones, R. C. (2020). Using video clips to kick-start statistical thinking – research questions and study design. Statistics & Data Science Educator, 1-7. Related URL.
- Jones, R. C. (2020). The Many Faces Of Giftedness. Tall Poppies, 14-16. Related URL.
- Jones, R. C. (2020). Data Analysis and Critical Thinking Skills Training for Teachers – The Welsh Baccalaureate. Statistics Education Research Journal, 19 (1), 92-105. Related URL.
- Jones, R. (2020). Essential Maths Skills for Exploring Social Data: A Student's Workbook (1). SAGE Publications Limited. Pages: 160.
- Renelle, A., Budgett, S., & Jones, R. (2019). Recognition of random processes from simulated auditory experiences. In S. C. Budgett (Ed.) Proceedings of the Satellite conference of the International Association for Statistical Education (IASE) Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Stephanie Budgett, Amy Renelle
- Jones, R. C. (2019). No good at maths. The Panel - Radio NZAuckland, New Zealand. Related URL.
- Jones, R. C. (2019). Being bad at maths is not a badge of honour. IdeasroomAuckland, New Zealand. Related URL.
- Jones, R. C. (2019). How do we change statistical and critical thinking attitudes in young people?. Numeracy, 12 (2)10.5038/1936-46188.8.131.52