Dr Irene Suilan Zeng
Irene Zeng completed her BSc.(applied mathematics) degree in Sun Yat-sen University, Southern China in 1994. She obtained her Graduate Diploma (Commerce) in 1999 and completed MSc (statistics,1st Hons) degree from University of Auckland in 2004. She has worked as a mathematical statistician in Statistics New Zealand Wellington, biostatistician in Auckland city hospital, Center for Clinical Research & effective practice and then as a senior research biostatistician in Research and Evaluation office, Health Intelligence and Informatics, Ko AWATEA, CMDHB. She is a post-doctoral research fellow now working in the Statistics department.
Irene's master research investigated Bayesian modelling to predict heart failure by using biomarkers. Her doctoral research is an extension from the master study and an inspiration from her work in the hospital. Irene's research interests are statistical methods in proteomic and genomic, biomedicine, clinical and community research.
Research | Current
My PhD research investigated and created statistical methods in clinical proteomics. The extension from the PhD research is statistical methods and softwares in integrated "omics", which includes data analysis, pathway assisted data analysis, Bayesian method in the data analysis.
First Honours degree in the Master of science major in statistics
I was awarded the PhD degree in Dec, 2014; and continuously work on the integrated Omics research in statistics department supervised by Professor Thomas Lumley as a honorary research fellow and now a post-doctoral fellow. I hope to enhance our collaborations in precision and personalized medicine in clinical research and practice, using the integrated OMics techniques. At the meantime, we aim to produce high quality research outputs (software packages and publications).
Areas of expertise
Biostatistics, Medical statisics, Proteomic and Omics data analysis, Bayesian Inference
Founder of the open-access platform i-StatDome® , a cybernetic analytical lab, which provides automatic medical data analysis online : www.onlinedatalab.org.nz. The built-in functions of the platform are still continously growing.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Kingma, K., Hofmeyr, R., Zeng, I. S., Coomarasamy, C., & Brainard, A. (2017). Comparison of four methods of endotracheal tube passage in simulated airways: There is room for improved techniques. EMA - Emergency Medicine Australasia, 29 (6), 650-657. 10.1111/1742-6723.12874
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Andrew Brainard
- Lauti, M., Lemanu, D., Zeng, I. S. L., Su'a B, Hill, A. G., & MacCormick, A. D. (2017). Definition determines weight regain outcomes after sleeve gastrectomy. Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, 13 (7), 1123-1129. 10.1016/j.soard.2017.02.029
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Andrew Hill, Andrew MacCormick, Bruce Su'a
- Zeng, I. S. L., Lumley, T., Ruggiero, K., & Middleditch, M. (2017). A Bayesian approach to multivariate and multilevel modelling with non-random missingness for hierarchical clinical proteomics data. 10.1101/153049 https://arxiv.org/abs/1601.00477.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Thomas Lumley, Kathy Ruggiero, Martin Middleditch
- Lauti, M., Lemanu, D., Zeng, I., Su'a B, Hill, A. G., & MacCormick, A. D. (2017). Definition determines weight regain outcomes following sleeve gastrectomy. Paper presented at Royal Australasian College of Surgeons 86th Annual Scientific Congress, Adelaide, Australia. 8 May - 12 May 2017. ANZ Journal of Surgery. (pp. 1). 10.1111/ans.13987
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Andrew MacCormick, Andrew Hill
- Lyndon, M. P., Henning, M. A., Alyami, H., Krishna, S., Zeng, I., Yu, T. C., & Hill, A. G. (2017). Burnout, quality of life, motivation, and academic achievement among medical students: A person-oriented approach. Perspectives on Medical Education, 6 (2), 108-114. 10.1007/s40037-017-0340-6
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Mataroria Lyndon, Andrew Hill, Tzu-Chieh Wendy Yu
- Gauld, N. J., Zeng, I. S. L., Ikram, R. B., Thomas, M. G., & Buetow, S. A. (2017). Antibiotic treatment of women with uncomplicated cystitis before and after allowing pharmacist-supply of trimethoprim. International journal of clinical pharmacy, 39 (1), 165-172. 10.1007/s11096-016-0415-1
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Stephen Buetow, Natalie Gauld, Mark Thomas
- Chin, S. J., Zeng, I. S. L., & Morton, R. P. (2016). The epidemiology of plunging ranula in South Auckland. The Laryngoscope, 126 (12), 2739-2743. 10.1002/lary.26088
- Gauld, N. J., Zeng, I. S. L., Ikram, R. B., Thomas, M. G., & Buetow, S. A. (2016). Treatment of uncomplicated cystitis: analysis of prescribing in New Zealand. The New Zealand medical journal, 129 (1437), 55-63.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Mark Thomas, Stephen Buetow, Natalie Gauld
Primary office location
SCIENCE CENTRE 303 - Bldg 303
38 PRINCES ST